Docent in Political Studies, part. Cultural Policy research at the University of Jyväskylä: Valtio-opin, erityisesti kulttuuripolitiikan tutkimuksen dosentti, Yhteiskuntatieteellinen tiedekunta Jyväskylän yliopisto. Lyhyt CV suomeksi.
CURRENT POST: Senior Lecturer in Political Science, University of Helsinki, Faculty of Social Sciences.
Current research group: Mainstreaming Populism in 21st Century (MAPO), Academy of Finland funded consortium at Universities of Helsinki, Turku and Jyväskylä.
Language skills: Fluent: Finnish (native), English, Hungarian, French, German; Good: Swedish, Spanish, Basic: Italian
Current positions of trust:
- Vice-board-member of Finnish Federation of Learned Societies 2015-2017 / Tieteellisten seurain valtuuskunnan hallituksen varajäsen, ja edustaja Kotilava-hankkeessa (2016-2017)
- Board-member of Finnish League of Science Publishers 2015-2017 / Tiedekustantajien liiton hallituksen jäsen ja OA-ryhmän vetäjä (2016)
- Board-member of Finnish Political Studies Association, vty.fi / Valtiotieteellisen yhdistyksen hallituksen jäsen ja kirjasarjojen päätoimittaja
- Local democracy initiative in Maunula, representative and coordinator: Maunulan demokratiahankkeen edustaja Maunula-talon suunnittelussa ja strategiaryhmässä (2013-2016)
- Admin: Responsible for Politics in Democracy and Global Transformation MA programme (2015-2017); Board member of MA in Nordic and European Studies and MA in Global Politics and Media (2016-18), University of Helsinki.
POSTS, ASSIGNMENTS and FELLOWSHIPS:
- Researcher at Academy of Finland project: Asymmetries in European Intellectual Space,
Dept. of Political and Economic Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Helsinki. March 2014 – February 2016
- Researcher at Academy of Finland project: Populism as Movement and Rhetoric, Centre for Contemporary Culture, University of Jyväskylä, 2012–2016.
- (Maternity leave May 2013-February 2014)
- Senior Lecturer in Political Science (Public Administration and Organisation Studies)
Dept. of Political and Economic Studies, University of Helsinki. November 2010 – July 2013
- Postdoctoral researcher (Emil Aaltonen foundation and Finnish Cultural Foundation)
Dept. of Political and Economic Studies, University of Helsinki. January–October 2010
- Senior Lecturer in Cultural Policy, Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy,
University of Jyväskylä: 1.12.2008-31.12.2009.
- Visiting Scholar, Northwestern University, Chicago, Academy of Finland, Fall term 2008
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Academy of Finland project, Nations and their Others: Finns and Hungarians since 1900. 1 March – 31 December 2007, May – August 2008, Summer 2009.
- Visiting Fellow, Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Summer 2008
- Visiting Fellow, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, 2007-08
- DAAD Junior Visiting Scholar, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Institute for European Ethnology and Department of Urban and Regional Sociology, May-June 2006 (2000e)
- Junior Visiting Fellow, Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advance Study, Budapest, Hungary, September 2005 – April 2006 (board and 3000e),
- Körber Junior Visiting Fellow ‘History and Memory in Europe’, Institute for Human Sciences – Institute for Advanced Study, IWM, Vienna, March-August 2005 (8000e)
GRANTS and SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Academy of Finland consortium 2017-2021: Mainstreaming Populism in the 21st Century (PI Juha Herkman)
- Academy of Finland projects 2012-16: Populism as Rhetoric and Movement (PI Urpo Kovala), Asymmetries in European Intellectual Space (PI Marja Jalava)
- Emil Aaltonen Foundation, 2010, Research scholarship, 10 months, 18 000
- Finnish Cultural Foundation, 2008, Research scholarship, 12 months, 18 000 e
- Academy of Finland, 2008, Visiting Scholarship, Northwestern University (seminar with Ernesto Laclau), Evanston, IL, US, 6500e
- Körber Foundation, Hamburg, Germany, 2004, research stay at IWM, 8000 e
- Finnish Cultural Foundation, 2004, Research scholarship 2004, 14 000 e
- Oskar Öflund’s Foundation, 2002, Scholarship for PhD studies, 2000 e
- Socrates/Erasmus Council, UK, Scholarship, 29.1.–3.5.2002. Budapest Corvinus University, Department of Politics. Supervisor: Professor Attila Ágh
- ESRC – Economic & Social Research Council, UK, 2001-2004, Research Studentship ‘Fees Only’ 1.10.2001-30.9.2004, Tuition fees and research supplement
- PhD in Ideology and Discourse Analysis,
Department of Government, University of Essex, 2006
Thesis: Reading Budapest: Polarisation in Contemporary Hungarian Politics
- MA in Ideology and Discourse Analysis,
Department of Government, University of Essex, 2002
Dissertation: Ken and Statues – Politics on Trafalgar Square
- BA(hons) in Contemporary East European Studies,
University of London, UCL, School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES), 2000
Grade: Upper Second Class Honours,
Dissertation: Post-Communist Politics of the Street Names and Statues in Budapest
- Ylioppilastutkinto, Matriculation Examination, Ressun lukio, Helsinki, Finland, June 1997
Courses and programmes (a selection)
- Bauhaus Certificate, Bauhaus Kolleg, Dessau, programme on EU Urbanism 2006–2007
- University Pedagogy: Teaching and Learning at the University 2014
- Advanced French Discussion Course, University of Helsinki, January 2011-12
- PhD Supervisor’s course, IHME, University of Jyväskylä, 6.-9.5.2008
- 1st IWM International Alumni Summer School in Philosophy and Politics: On Solidarity, Cortona, Italy, August 13-26, 2006
- Learning to teach, University of Essex, August 2002
- Leadership and supervision experience
Supervisor of post-doctoral researchers: Suvi Kansikas (PhD 2012) & Virpi Salojärvi (PhD 2016) at UH.
Experience as officially appointed supervisor:
- Laura Sibinescu, Democracy After Accession: Deconsolidation And The Eu’s Domestic Impact In Central And Eastern Europe(second, defence 1.12.18)
- Rūta Kazlauskaitė-Gürbüz, Towards an Embedded History(first, defended: 18.5.2018)
- Kanerva Kuokkanen: Developing Participation through Projects(third. 16.4.2016)
- Hanna Laako:Globalization and the Political (second 6.5.2011)
- Kaisa Savolainen: Education as a Means to World Peace(third, 13.11.2010, Jyväskylä)
- 4 PhD students who started in 2017 or 2018 (secondary)
- 3 PhD students will submit for pre-examination 2018-19 (first)
- 2012–, 13 Masters students; 38 BA students supervised.
Experience as leader of research work
- WP leader on populism and democracy (Herkman 2017-21 AF consortium), postdoc mentoring, focus.
- Edited collections and central theorizing AF project in Jyväskylä (Kovala 2012-16)
- Experience of organising scientific meetings
- Tampere 1–4.7.2014 Member of local organising committee: 10th Crossroads in Cultural Studies –; 6th International Conference on Cultural Policy Research, Jyväskylä, Finland, 24–27.8.2010, 1000
- Member of organising committee, FPSA Finland 8–10.3.2016; Urban Symbolic Landscapes: Power, Language, Memory, Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies, UH, 4–5.5.2011, 200
- The Conference Organiser, The Construction of ‘Us’ and ‘Them’: Discourses of Populism and Nationalism, an international conference with Ernesto Laclau as the key-note speaker, 7–8 September 2007, UH, 150
- Patents, inventions, awards and honours
- Other key scientific or academic merits
- opponent, U. of Lund/Sweden: Liv Sunnercranz, Hegemony and the Intellectual Function: Medialised Public Discourse on Privatisation in Sweden 1988-1993, 19.12.2017
- 2018/Sept. pre-examiner of Tampere: Angel Iglesias Ortiz, Exploring Social Objectivity through Hegemony, Antagonism, and Heterogeneity.
- Pre-examiner, Faculty of Arts, UH, Ave Ungro,Exploring Crónicas through their value positions.
- Pre-examiner, U. of Tampere, Sauli Ruuskanen, ”Kuolema iltapäivällä”(Death in the afternoon), Department of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Evaluation of research applications: ESRC, UK; Finnish and foreign foundations, European Commission potential evaluator 2017- (H2020). Reviewer: AJPR, Constellations, Contemporary Political Theory, EJPR, Ephemera, J. of Organizational Change Management, Nordisk Kulturpolitisk Tidskrift, Journal of Historical Geography, Political Geography, Redescriptions, Kulturella Perspektiv, European Journal of Cultural Studies, Sociological Review, Journalism, etc.
Administrative responsibilities at higher education institutions:
- 2018– Faculty of Social Sciences, UH, Committee on Science Society Interaction
- 2016– Board member: Masters programmes: European and Nordic Studies, Global Communication and Politics; Dept. for Political and Economic Studies 2016–2017.
- 2011/12-13: Teaching Quality Committee; Student Choice Committee; Coordinator of Leadership Studies
Invited keynote lectures abroad:
- 9.18 Istanbul, Turkey: 2. keynote in Provinzialising Populism conference, Bilgi University.
- 7.18. Melbourne, Australia: Thesis Eleven Annual Lecture, La Trobe University
- 10–11.5.18 Moscow, Russia: Keynote lecture in The Aesthetics of Social Equality: Avant-Garde, Populisms and the People, Higher School of Economics, HSE.
- 11.17 The City Talks– UVic’s Distinguished Downtown Lecture Series, U. of Victoria, BC, Canada.
- 8.17. London, UK: Keynote in Int. Conference on populism, extremism, and nationalism at the Royal Society in London, by Int. Humanist and Ethical Union and British Humanist Association.
- 6.16. Vienna, Austria: Conflicting Populisms, University of Vienna and Kreisky Forum.
Key artistic merits:
- A new symbol for Europe Outdoor exhibition, Hofvijver,Hague The EU flag memorialgot selected out of 1400 entries as one of 12 designs for a new symbol for Europe and hung in the Hofvijver.
- 2011– Gold and Platinum OA publications, journal articles and books.
- 2014– Lectures on open science, OA publishing.
- 2016– Board Member (Chair in 2018) of Kotilava: Finnish Journals for Immediate Open Access.
- Memberships and positions of trust in scientific societies
- 2015–17; 2017-19 Deputy board member of Finnish Federation of Learned Societies (TSV)
- 2012-15 Society for Cultural Policy Research in Finland (Founding Chair 2012, ‘15, vice-chair 13-14)
- 2009– Board Member (Chair in 2018) of the Finnish Political Science Association, FPSA.
Positions as member or editor on editorial boards of scientific and scholarly journals and publication series
- The Editor of the FPSA’s Books from Finnish PSA 2014–17.
- The founding Editor of politiikasta.fi online magazine of the Finnish PSA, 2012–2014.
- Member of the Academic Advisory Board: Culture and Local Governance.